Saturday, October 21, 2006

Taipei 101

Okay, so I know I said I was going down to Taipei City Centre...well, I was wrong. Where we were going isn't exactly city centre. We went to Taipei 101 and that area, taking the MRT, which is easy to figure out - It's like the Tube but with much fewer colours. And now I know which bus takes me to the nearest MRT station and where to get off, I'm set. Unleash me unto the city!

Anyway, entire area is full of shopping and entertainment. We walked through some of the shops but it was a quick browse because my goal was to look at the bookstores and find me some books. BOOKS!! And yes I found them! I was slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to find any decent English books but I was worried for nothing; we went to two bookstores there and they both had a lot of English books. Eslite had mostly general fiction and a tiny romance section (tons of Danielle Steele - BLARGH). The books I usually buy and read are filed under romance or crime, though most are a blend of both: romantic suspence, although I am pretty hooked on Kathy Reichs' Tempe Brennan crime novels. Her books inspired the show Bones on Fox and the latest book is called Break No Bones (it's not out on paperback yet).

Page One
, the Singaporean bookstore located on the fourth floor in Taipei 101, was an absolute delight. Shelves upon shelves of English books and, and, they had a separate 'Romance' section! YAY. They didn't disappoint in their stock availability either; they had 2 out of the 3 books I was looking for. Not too shabby!

After spending a lot of time browsing through books, we grabbed a light snack and headed to the cinema in the building opposite. The Devil Wears Prada was surprisingly good and I really enjoyed it. I can totally see myself in Andy Sachs' (Anne Hathaway) shoes; I loved all the chaos, clothes and shoes her job involved. The scary part is that I can also totally see myself in Miranda Priestly's (Meryl Streep) shoes - a nicer version, that is - because I'm a bit of a workaholic (not as bad as she is obviously). Meryl Streep is very cool in the movie and I think she did a great job portraying ruthless and cynical. So scary, yet so awe-inspiring!

We finished around 8:30 and headed to Rao He Street Night Market for dinner. It hasn't changed much and my favourite foodstall was still there! There's nothing like it elsewhere; you get the best of Taiwanese food in the world and all for so cheap! Love it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Inconnue said...

I was laughing my head off at your description of Taiwan, the people, and your hair. I find it so funny, because your description is SO accurate, and I can really imagine everything.
LOL. The best bit, is I take one look at the pic of you and your friends and everyone has the "V" peace sign up trying to act cute except you. LOL.
Hilarious I tell you.
And I prefer hair w/o the sharp ends. Chinese girls love it, but I hate it when they give me that cut here too.
Bloody hilarious.
Taiwanese pop culture. What can I say!
The best are the sissy boys. Ack.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home