Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Playing Catch Up Again?

Yup. Seems like I'm constantly doing that. So for those of you who live vicariously through me (actually, I have no idea how many people actually read this thing apart from Dem, Nick and Meera), here's a recap of what's happened since...well, since whenever it was that I last wrote something. Really wrote something.

Friday was supposed to be my Big Phat Party. It was at Tabella Bar and Lounge in Downtown Seattle. It's a nice place where there is a dress code and quite hip-hop oriented. Suffice to say, there were a lot of brown people there. (And no, I'm not just talking about black people; I'm talking about all brown people.) Tell me why only 5 people showed up, including me? LAME. Friends? Pishaw!! Some friends you are! My last freakin' night (kinda, besides Saturday) and who shows up? The core: Dem, Ryan and Georgia...and Adisty! She's someone I've known since high school and has only seen sporadically in the past 5 years. Yes, SHE came to the club. Pish, whatever. A test of friendship I suppose. I got one email about it - from Holly - and she had a family thing to go to that she couldn't bail out on so that was okay. Like I said, screw y'all. I know who really count; I know who I'm inviting to my wedding (whenever I have it that is)! (These are important things to know, y'know, to cut back on stationary, printing and postage costs.)

Anyways, Saturday was better. I went out again; this time we went to R Place and I got a bigger turn-out this time. I suppose that's what I get for having predominantly gay friends who have some straight-club phobia. Pfft. Oh well, at least they came out in the end so it was all good. My workmates met up with me at the club as well, which was really cool of them. However, they got really, really, really drunk. Oh man, they were so wasted by the time we left the club at 2am. Then they went on to Neighbors, a techno (eww) infused club. I refused. I don't do techno. But they were a little crazy when we said goodbye and Cattreya called me the next day freaking out about that night because she totally didn't remember anything and that scared her bad. Dem also came out with us - yay! - and that was real good because she hadn't come out with us any of the other times and I'm really happy she did on my last night.

Sunday, I had a plane to catch. 6 months. 6 months! Time flies by pretty fast. One minute I just got back from my year abroad and the next thing I know, 6 months have gone by and I have to finish packing and am leaving again for at least another 6 months. It feels amazing, really. I feel sad about leaving people, my BFFs (hehehehe! That's short for Best Friends Forever.), my coworkers (we work so well as a team and I feel like I have to start all over! I hardly have any problems with coworkers anyways, but still.) and my mom and sister. I miss having them around, especially my sister because even though she can be extremely exasperating, she's quite brilliant and hilarious most times. Kids say the darndest things. Really. We crack each other up.

The flight was long and cramped. They say BA is one of the best airlines to fly with; I beg to differ. I'm not saying that they gave bad customer service; au contraire, they had excellent customer service - one member of the cockpit came out to chat with the kids in front of me, which I thought was quite a nice thing to do. Oh yeah, this was a baby flight; there were SO many kids on board. I counted at least 9 in front of me (there were maybe only 5 or 6 rows ahead of me) who were under 14 years of age. It was the amount of space - or lack thereof - that didn't sit too well with me. My bum was really aching afterwards. I'm used to flying United and they'd thrown out a couple of rows in their Economy section so that the rest of the seats have slightly more room and that's what I'm used to...oh well, I survived and now I know. I had a fuschia pillow and that was pretty cool. And there was a guy in a suit who was sporting serious dreads mon. That was cool.

Fast-forward to today, Wednesday. I had a really early start and I felt like I spent the entire day traveling...which I kinda did. Bus to train station. Train from Bristol to London. Tube from Paddington to Farringdon. [Insert BUNAC Orientation.] Tube from Farringdon to King's Cross. Train from King's Cross to Huntingdon. Taxi from train station to NXT Sound. [Insert interview with NXT Sound.] Train from Huntingdon back to King's Cross. Tube from King's Cross to Paddington. Train from Paddington to Bristol. Ride home in car. Phew! What a day! And what a great day it was! My interview went extremely well with NXT; apparently, they'd already really liked me just from reading my CV ('Oh, they love me! They really love me!') and meeting me in person just confirmed everything they'd derived from my CV. Cool! Job description, discussion of BUNAC, possible future opportunities, what's expected from both parties, short tour, talk about pay and other paperwork stuff and a writing test. Pretty standard stuff. I am SO excited!! James, who's essentially my boss (but not my immediate supervisor), wants me to start next Thursday, providing that I've already found a place to live by then. If not, he said he'll just push back the start date until I get a place. He's cool. They all seem pretty awesome people to work with. I'm really going to enjoy this job.


So now, I just gotta find a place to live...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home