Saturday, April 08, 2006

Success!

I went up to Cambridge today to check out some places and FINALLY success! I viewed 6 places and found the 6th place to my liking! It's a 2-bedroom flat (apartment in American'ese) and it's all new. The landlord owns the place and is doing it up all nice: new paint everywhere, the kitchen looks all new and bright and shiny (very modern, minimalist style), all the doors are new, natural pine, good lighting and the bathroom is REALLY nice. Now if you know me, then you (should) know that the bathroom means a lot to me. I prefer nice loos because it makes it feel cleaner and therefore makes me feel cleaner. Hardwood floors and lots of natural sunlight, the entire place was just clean and sleek but not cold and aloof. The only amenity that isn't there (yet) that I need is internet but that's easily fixed. Also, his carpenter friend is gonna redo my entire wardrobe so that the doors and shelves are of the same pine as the room doors. I also need to ask him about getting a desk and maybe some shelving on the walls. Anyways, my landlord and flatmate's name is Neil Loughnane and he's Irish (he spelled out his last name to me and I'm like "...How do you pronounce that..."). He seems really cool and really easygoing. He's also young - though I haven't asked his age yet - so that's good because then I'm exposed to other young people and it makes making new friends easier. :D Granted, I don't know what his friends are like but we'll see. It's about 15-20 minutes via bus to the city centre but biking it would take less than 15 minutes. The bike trail runs behind the flat and he said that it's a nice trail and that a lot of people use it; good, then, that it's not really isolated. The neighborhood's quiet enough with mainly families and professionals living around. Since it's a ground flat, there's a nice and surprisingly large garden in the back. Can we say BBQs? (Hopefully, yes.)

I should be able to move in by next Thursday or Friday and definitely by Saturday. I am SO relieved and excited and happy that I'm no longer homeless. The last two weeks have been a bit hellish and stressful, just running around trying to find a place to live and calculating budgets and all that crap. But I've survived it all, of course, and am all the wiser for it. Yay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home