Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Portland, Oregon

Ah, Portland. It's beautiful and very green. I might even go so far as to say it's greener than Seattle, but then it's a lot smaller and less urban than Seattle.

BFF Em lives there with her fiancé, who goes to Lewis and Clark College, and have been living there for 8 months now, and it was high time that I visited (although I was abroad most of last year). I drove down with Georgia, Ryan and Matt...four crazy brownies listening to remixes of Omarion's Ice Box. (I love the one with Usher, and I just realized Omarion's pretty cute.) Good times. Of course Georgia almost got us killed less than a mile from her place, but what 'road trip' is complete without a close call? ...Anyway, we made it down to Portland in one piece, met up with Em and showed down at a McMenamins restaurant called Blue Moon on 21st. The food was really good and we were loving the whole no sales tax thing - totally reminded me of England. We also cracked this magic trick - with the help of our waiter - involving matches that we'd learned the night before at the Matador. The trick totally fucked with our minds and we couldn't get our heads around it! It was very clever.

The weather was really miserable to begin with - it was chucking it down while we were eating lunch - but then it cleared up completely and was absolutely gorgeous. The sun came out and it turned quite warm. Then we went shopping. 23rd Street is well-known for its collection of boutiques and antique stores, cafes and fun shops. There were several big retailers as well, like Urban Outfitters and Levi's. I window shopped mostly and didn't buy much. I split up with Georgia, Ryan and Matt Saturday afternoon and hung out with Em the rest of the weekend. We went for a very scenic drive around the zoo - it's so beautiful and green and lush, and it's in a city! - and then back to her flat. Molly, their cat, was as spoiled and adorable as usual, and she flosses her teeth everyday! Too cute. We chilled out for a while and Em introduced me to my new favourite wine: Elio Perrone Bigaro. It's really lovely, gorgeous even, and coming from me, that says a lot. (I'm notoriously picky about alcohol and don't like any drinks half the time.) Dinner was Italian and oh, how I've missed pasta! I hadn't had any in too long and my fettuccine Alfredo with mushrooms and tender pieces of chicken was perfect. Mm mmm.

Sunday dawned bright and clear as well, so we went and did some more shopping. This time we went to Bridgeport Village because Em needed to buy jeans and I suggested Levi's. Suffice to say, we were very productive (or rather, she was very productive) and I had myself some LavAzza espresso coffee! I loooove LavAzza (and illy, too)...I really should see if any cafes around here serve it.

We went driving around the city, too. She showed me a little bit of Lewis and Clark. It's a beautiful campus - dare I say more so than UW? - and the reflection pool looked like something out of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream! One of the old manor houses (at least I think it was a manor house) was converted to offices. I'd love going to work everyday in a 19th century building!! We also went to see Pittock Manson. GORGEOUS! The architecture, lush interiors...I can so see myself living in a house like that, doing the whole lady-of-the-manor thing (although, then my practical side kicks in and worries about the upkeep). Sadly, it was closed by the time we got there so we'll have to wait till next time to go on the tour.

No pictures yet but they're coming. Now I gotta get my butt back to work, hehehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home