Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Thing About Straight Clubs...

It's Kyung-i's (spelling?) birthday today and as she's my hairdresser (oh-ho, don't I sound posh!), I, of course, made an appearance (and only because Ryan was going, too). We first stopped by her friend Steven/Stephen's place cuz if we showed up at the club with him, he'd be able to get us in for free. A whole bunch of Asians, all friends with Kyung-i and Anna (a friend I met through Ryan). Ryan and I didn't know anyone there so it was sliiiiightly awkward but at least we could talk to each other and Anna and Kyung-i when they weren't with their other friends. We stuck around for a little and Kyung-i fed me: fried rice. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers (I wasn't hungry when I left but was when I got there). Anna has the cutest wedges by the way.

We ended the night at Venom, formerly known as Medusa. It's a nice place. The music was alright - a bit more 80s/90s than I would've liked - and we got in for free so I'm not complaining. We were ushered into this 'secret' room with its own bar but since we - Ryan and I - weren't drinking, it was a tad boring. We just sat on the couch couch-dancing to the music; enough was enough so we headed out to the floor.

The thing about straight clubs is that it feels so pretentious. Fake. Posed. I always feel the pressure to dance sexy (sexily?), act sexy, be sexy. I always shake off the pressure and say to hell with it most of the time. The other thing is the men. GEEZ. When they get on the dance floor, they are SO all up in your space! They elbow you, bump you and into you, hit you with their arms, elbows, feet, hands, their whole bodies, step on you and do all sorts of violence and they are SO oblivious and inconsiderate. GEEZ FREAKING LOUISE. Can we be a bit more aware of our surroundings?? Do you NOT feel me jabbing my elbow back at you? Take a hint! The clubs in England aren't half as bad. I'm so spoiled by gay clubs.

And now that they've banned smoking in bars and clubs, it's so amazing to leave the club still smelling like my perfume instead of smoke. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home