Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Losing Weight

People have been obsessed with diets for a long time. Atkins, South Beach, low-carb, no carb, grapefruit! (Apparently, Atkins was obese at the time of his death by the way.) First of all, people need to love themselves and their bodies. Second of all, check your BMI (Body Mass Index) and more often than not, you'll find that you are not fat and that your weigh is completely normal. You are your own worst critic and the sooner you realise this, the healthier you'll be. Rant over.

Anyway, back to diets. So, as those close to me know, I lost a lot of 'weight' that year I studied abroad in Hull. Now, I said 'weight' because I only lost 3 pounds in reality; what had actually happened was that my body rid itself of a lot of fat and toned up. Woohoo, go body! But wait a darn minute, all I ate that year was carbs! Rice and pasta were my staples (still are actually) and by all accounts, I should've gained dress sizes instead of lost 'em. Well, I found this article that explains why. Briefly:
A new study, that has investigated the various types of diets existing nowadays, found that diets that are high in carbohydrates and have a low glycemic index are the most efficient in reducing fat mass.

Dr. Simin Liu, from the University of California in Los Angeles commented upon the study: “foods with a low degree of starch gelatinization, such as pasta, and those containing a high level of viscous soluble fiber, such as wholegrain barley, oats, and rye, have slower rates of digestion and lower glycemic index values.
There you have it people. Diets rich in carbs with a low glycemic index are most efficient in weight loss. Now where's my bowl of rice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home