Monday, August 07, 2006

Go Cats Go!

Back home, football often happens on a Sunday or Monday and it's one of those things I just grew up with (Dad hogs the TV during these times). So when I was invited to a football (now, we're talking American football here, not soccer football) game on Sunday, I gladly said yes. (It helped that the person who invited me was cute.)

Anyway, that's what I spent Sunday afternoon doing: watching a bunch of grown men in red and blue yell and holler, pound each other into the grass and chase after an almond shaped, pig-skin covered object. (Actually, I don't think footballs are covered in pig's skin anymore...) Sometimes I wonder where the hell is the enjoyment of such activities but then I remember when I'm cheering out loud for a touchdown. And sometimes, man really isn't all that far removed from the Neanderthal. Hehehe.

Nick, from Ceroc, plays football and has been playing it for the last 6 or 7 years. Whoa, wait. American football in Europe?? Shocker. Very cool, though. It's actually a national league here and very organised. So last week he invited me to the game and the American in me rejoiced. Football on a Sunday? How like home. Now, I'm not a huge sports fan but I do love watching games live (that's live in person, not live on TV). It's all about the atmosphere and getting caught up in it; it's quite exciting even if I don't know half the rules to the game.

(Everytime I think of football, I think of my classmate Jackie Nakata's grandmother asking where was the yellow line when they took her to watch a live game. Awesome.)

The game was very enjoyable; it was Cambridge Cats versus Sussex Thunder. So were the, ah, views as well. I've never been much of a looker at the rear-end but goodness me, I sure was looking yesterday! Unfortunately, the Cats lost by 5 points (less than one touchdown!) and therefore aren't in the playoffs. Shame. But the weather was nice - not too hot - and I met a lovely couple at the game who explained the whats and hows of the league to me. Basically, it's an actual tournament, cumulating with playoffs and the BritBowl.

Of course, by the time the game ended it was time for dinner and since Nick needed to shower and change, we went back to his place so I could twiddle my thumbs while he scrubbed up. (Actually, I raided his extensive DVD collection and started watching Big Trouble in Little China - I love that film. He's got a lot of good movies and by good, I mean running along my tastes of course!)

His flat's very, very nice. He's got jerseys of all the teams he's played for, pictures of him and his troops (platoons? battalions?), posters and all other sorts of personal 'me' stuff. The walls are painted a dark burnt orange so it's got a very comfortable, cosy feeling to it but it's also quite big and spacious, especially for just one person. He choose the colour and painted the place himself. I'm impressed, not with the paint job (anyone can paint a room) but with the tasteful choice in colour. There's an en suite toilet but apparently the shower's somewhere else since he left the room to clean up. It's nice being an officer.

For dinner, we had curry - mm mmm! - and had a good laugh while watching
A Question of Sport and Will & Grace. Jack and Karen are my favourite characters. After dinner, we had a good laugh at some video clips he'd downloaded - Terry Tate the Office Linebacker is hilarious - and I showed him Yellow Fever on YouTube.

He also showed off his uniforms and (2) medals, to which I properly oohed and aahed and fondled. How swanky. I hadn't realised that medals were personalised with one's name; they were pretty spiffy. Say it with me now: 'oooooOOOOOooooo'. I don't remember exactly what the medals were for but I know one was for serving in Iraq. And since he's in The King's Own Scottish Borderers, he's gonna get a kilt soon. Say it again: 'oooooooOOOOOOOooooooo'. Scots, kilts, bagpipes, oh my! Very exciting. I love bagpipes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i have to say is...oh geez! lol! so i take it he was on the cats. the losing team? did you comfort him "properly?" lol! i know you didn't go that far but guys hate losing at things so i hope you restored his ego. :)

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home