Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Golf Tournament

No, I didn't play in it; I don't play golf. However, my company sponsored a golf tournament on Monday and I went to help out with our table. One of our interns came with me and it was a hard day at the office, the two of us sitting in the sun (when the clouds eventually deigned to move out of the way), selling raffle tickets and giving out free towels and drinks. Great way to start the work week!

Anyway, as I said, I don't play golf so I learned a lot about it that day. The intern plays so while we were chilling at our tee ground, the 16th hole, I grilled him about everything from the terminology to what the little round disc in the ground that says 'Par 3, 135' means. Kind of cool, I must admit but it's still not quite enough to make me want to take up golf. My sport is dancing so *shrugs*.

I drove a golf cart for the first time ever and that was SO much fun. My boss had bought some drinks to be given out with the towels, so he loaded all of them onto the little golf cart and there was only room enough left for the driver. So where was the other person going to sit?! My boss suggested someone could stand on the back - or more like balance on the balls of their feet - and hold onto the roof. Oh dear. Being a gentleman (and I was wearing heels after all), the intern climbed up onto the back while I drove. At first I was a bit wary of driving the thing but I quickly got over it. Vroom vroom!

The rest of the day went by smoothly. We did forget the towels in my boss's car (they wouldn't fit on the cart in the first place), so I drove back to fetch them and passed them out to the teams I passed on my way back to our hole. Most of the teams were playing as a foursome and since they were doing a shotgun start, each team started at a different hole. Several of our coworkers, including my boss, were playing in the tournament. I think some of the people skipped our hole (how, I don't know) because at dinner (free buffet baby!), someone complained that they didn't know there was a raffle going on. Bollocks. If you had come by our hole, there was no way you couldn't have known about the raffle because we told everyone who came by.

And we got some sun. The first couple of hours were quite cloudy and a bit chilly, but the weather turned out really nice later, with the sun blazing down on us. I got a tan on my arms and lower legs (I was wearing short sleeves and a skirt) and my face; Intern got quite red, too. The only crappy thing was that we forgot sunscreen: my facial moisturizer has SPF in it so I had some on my face but it's not a part of my daily routine for the office and I'd totally forgotten that I was going to be out on the golf course all day. My arms, especially my right arm which got more sun, have a slight farmer's tan because of my short-sleeved cardigan. Damn. Russ doesn't mind - he thought it was kind of hot - but it really is so not cute. Oh well. All in all, it was a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home