Saturday, October 01, 2005

TGIF

TGIF. Thank Goodness It's Friday. (Although by the time I've written this, it'll technically be Saturday already.) The restaurant's not bad either, actually; they have nice drinks. Anyways, it's PAY DAY. Yay. Class was uneventful this morning; we just talked a little about the lecture and about ourselves, and we got out early so I went to a couple of departments to speak to some advisors about converting my overseas credits. The Economics advisor couldn't find the email I'd sent her about the credits; the Business advisor asked me to email him all my course work; the Communications advisor was all booked up; the Italian advisor wasn't in her office. Sliiiiightly productive...but not really. With some time to kill before having to go catch my bus, I went to The Daily (campus newspaper) office (where I used to work) to visit.

There was no one there in display advertising (think non-classifieds) that I recognized! Ohmygoodness. Everyone had either graduated or left; only 3 people were left (not including the Editor because he'd retired!) that I knew: Kat and Judy in Classifieds and Scott in Artwork. I caught up with Kat and Judy; it was so good to see Judy! She's awesome. She's like the mother hen of the office but you can talk to her about things that you normally wouldn't talk about with your own mother. Like I said, awesome. Too bad Scott wasn't there. My old boss used to call him Scottiepoo; she had the biggest crush on him and he was always so cute. He's SO good with art, I envy him. Oh well, I can sell and he can't. That kind of balances it. Anyways, I agreed with Judy to get together sometime to do some more catching up, discuss my travels and adventures, and to eat curry together.

Work was work: busy and it went by pretty fast. Today was a particularily good day, though, because I seemed to have "patched things up" with a coworker. It's not like we actually got into any arguments or disagreements; it was more along the lines of me getting some unfriendly, you're-new-so-I-kinda-talk-down-to-you-like-you-don't-know-anything vobes. So not nice, especially when I have no idea what I did to deserve that kind of attitude. If I had been rude or snobby to her, then yeah, I'd understand, but since I hadn't ever been rude to her, there just seemed to be some perceived slight on her part. Oh, she was polite everytime we spoke but it was those vibes I was getting that was making me dread working with her. But today, I got on her good side. Go me. She usually works the fitting rooms and the first thing I did when I got out on the salesfloor was say hi (because she's the first person I see) and to take go-backs back to the floor. There were a LOT. I'd take a big handful, put them away, and come back for more. She was getting really frustrated because there were so much stuff and this other girl was pissing her off.

While I was gathering some go-backs, I commented on how pretty her hair is (it really is very nice), and we got into a small discussion about hair stuff. Then she said, "You know that Aieghla girl? (She's a new girl, too.) She's really pissing me off. She came back here with a client and asked me to measure her but she saw that I had a line of people and already helping 2 clients find bras, so I said 'I can't right now,' and then she just left the client standing there and walked off! So I called her back and said, *insert slightly lecturing voice* 'You (Aieghla) will have to measure her because I can't right now,' and she said, 'I'm doing go-backs,' and I'm, like, OMG don't be stupid! Clients are more important right now than go-backs." So I let her rant for a little bit, shaking my head and making all the right tsk tsk noises and said, "Someone needs to get a clue." Then she said, "Thank you so much for doing go-backs, " and I'm, like, "No problem." So I guess for lending her a sympathetic and understanding ear earned me good points in her book and for the rest of the day, I didn't feel any bad vibes coming off her. Awesome. :D

After work, I met up with Ryan to go have Indian. Curry! :D We went to this restaurant called Cedars, in the U District. It's the most famous one around and was voted best Indian restaurant by Cityseeing, a big sightseeing service group. Anyways, needless to say, I had my hopes up; this'll be my first time having curry in over a month! The place was packed and the wait was a bit long, as we didn't have reservations but that's ok; it just made us the more ravenous. We finally got seated and ordered the Cedars naan bread (specialty, stuffed with chicken and sprinkled with herbs), chicken jalfrezi for Ryan and tikka masala for me, of course.

How was the food? I was disappointed! The jalfrezi was supposed to be more bell pepper-y and my tikka masala was TOO tomato-y! Tikka masala's not supposed to taste like tomatoes! Ryan tried to qualify it and say maybe that's the way it's supposed to taste. Um, no. Tikka masala's not even an Indian dish; it's English and so I know what it's supposed to taste like. Even when it doesn't taste the normal way, like at the Moonlight Tandoori by my house on Cranbrook back in Hull, it was still good and tikka masala-like! Oh how I miss The Last Viceroy!! *weep* Oi, but the naan was ok. There really wasn't any chicken stuffing, though... So I won't be going back there to eat again. The happy news in all this is that they had a tiny little shop at one end of the restaurant and they sold Patak's curry sauces!! They also sell this other brand that I've forgotten the name of, but it's a condensed kind so you have to add water when you make it. I used both brands when I was in England and seeing those available here made me so happy! I'll have to go back another day to see what kinds of sauces they have. They even sold Basmati rice! Oh yeah, and their rice was way too dry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home